The key to a great summer is to have the proper products that ensure a healthy and (hopefully) sunburn-free season. Sun overexposure can lead to a greater risk of burns, bug bites, or worse; so although we all want to have a fun time, we can’t forget to take good care of ourselves. Here are some of my favorite products to keep everything glowing, but healthy (!), all summer long:
1. You Rebel Tinted Moisturizer: My hands down favorite summer beauty product is Benefit’s You Rebel tinted moisturizer. Once it really starts to heat up, putting on a ton of makeup is my least favorite thing to do and it has quickly become my go-to summer look with a little bit of blush and mascara. You Rebel gives you a great, weightless tint if you aren’t in the mood for proper foundation and also contains SPF 16 so you have an SPF base ready to start the day.
2. Sunscreen: You may already have your favorite brand of sunscreen, but my personal favorite is Neutrogena’s Ultra Sheer Dry Touch sunblock. It’s lightweight, absorbs quickly, and is oil free. So if you have sensitive/oily skin like me, you don’t have to worry about any ill effects from using the product after being out in the sun all day.
3. After Sun Moisturizing: Maui Babe’s After Browning Lotion is perfect for after sun moisturizing — which is extremely important after a day spent at the pool. It smells incredible and prevents peeling skin and your tan from fading. I used this product every summer day while growing up, and it kept my skin amazing and tan glowing. Definitely a must buy for you tanners!
4. Facial Mist: If you’re out in the sun all day and need a little pick me up, then I definitely recommend using a facial mist throughout the day. My personal favorite is Philosophy’s Hope Springs Eternal mist. It’s refreshing, smells delightful, and gives you a fresh little boost to keep the party going.
5. Conditioner: Your hair is out in the sun and pool all day too so it’s important not to forget about proper hair care as well. Organix’s Coconut Milk Conditioner is perfect for summertime and really gives you the nutrients your hair needs without breaking your budget. I would also recommend using Dove’s Hair Nourishing Oil Care Serum for additional shine and softness. (I just started using this a few days ago, and it’s a-mah-zing).
6. Bug Spray: If there’s one thing I hate more than bugs, it’s bug spray. After spending time getting cute for a day out in the sun, the last thing I want is to walk around smelling like DEET (plus let’s not even talk about the effects DEET can have). Intelligent Nutrients Certified Organic Bug Repellent Serum is a non-toxic, great smelling bug spray that is safe for both you and your pets. Plus, how cute is that little bat on the bottle?! (via Veg News)
7. Vitamins: Vitamins are also an essential component for proper summer health care. Vitamin A has been found to protect from melanomas, and Vitamin C can help reduce free radical damage caused by the sun. We may be getting more Vitamin D from being out in the sun, but it’s important to get the full scope of vitamins for healthy summer skin.
8. Water!: Duh! I shouldn’t even need to tell you about how important it is to stay hydrated during the summer. Stay cool and hydrated with one of these FDA approved, BPA-free, BPA replacement free, phthalate free bottles from BKR.